ALine provides engineering integration, prototyping, and production of microfluidic devices. With 50+ years of combined experience in bioanalytics and microfluidic technology, we have a depth of expertise that we apply in collaboration with our clients to shorten the product development cycle while delivering a superior product solution.
Our design and prototyping technology allows us to produce high quality, sophisticated devices in less than a week.
We solve the difficult issues regarding integration of various components including blister packs, reagents, sensors, and the instrument interface.
We provide support from early prototyping through product launch, and transfer to high volume manufacture.
A key component of device engineering is the ability to move quickly through the design, build, test cycle. While the program ramps up during development, our batch manufacturing approach and rapid turn around keeps pace with the program. Devices will arrive at your lab in less than a week’s time, one day turns are possible as needed.
Our focus on quality and scalability using our batch fabrication process ensures that the analytical variability due to the device is minimal.
We have published technical articles that demonstrate the variability of our channels and on board pumps.
Whether you already have a design or just a rough idea, our team will work with you to provide design optimization for fabrication and offer engineered solutions to ensure the cost of the final device meets market needs.
- Design for manufacture
- No tooling costs associated with design changes
- Fast turn-around times
- Standardized functional elements for pumping, venting and valving
- Standard interconnects
The ALine Tool Box of On Board Functions
Performing functions on board lab-on-a-chip devices eliminates the need for specialized equipment, reduces the complexity of chip-user interface, and produces fast and reliable results. We have developed and characterized a set of functional structures that can be reliably incorporated into microfluidic devices.
A central aspect of our technology is its modular approach to the development. We support a strategy that breaks down the development into modules, reducing risk and improving functional performance. We readily integrate our fluidic assemblies with custom made sensors (i.e. optical, electrical, etc.), injection molded parts, micro-machined silicon/glass, and more.
- Fluid line toggle: check-valves, diaphragm valves
- Liquid dispensing: diaphragm pumps
- Mixing: diaphragm active mixers
- Metering: vented graduated channels
- Venting and separation membranes: ability to incorporate a variety of membranes
- Design for integration with custom components for actuation or sensing
- Pop-on modules for sample prep, PCR, or other specialized operations.
Technical papers discussing the characteristics of the listed elements are available here.
Back to Top
Microfluidic interconnects, as well as interfaces to instrumentation are some of the most challenging aspects of product development.
We support clients in selecting components including pumps, valves, and interconnects. With our experience in building and testing devices, we can support you in component selection and integration to engineer a complete product solution.
Our pneumatic instrument platform, ADEPT, provides computer controlled pneumatics, as well as manifold integration and video recording of fluid movement. The ADEPT platform shortens product development by providing a well controlled interface to the microfluidic device. Learn more on the ADEPT product page.
Back to Top
Manufacturability and Pilot Production
ALine has 10 years of experience in manufacturing microfluidic devices with a range of complexity. Our platform is capable of producing tens of thousands of devices per month. Parts are assembled in our ISO 7 (class 10000) cleanroom. Detailed work processes are established to guarantee functional and aesthetic quality in your OEM product. We have been honored with recognition by our clients who have won R&D 100 Award, the Prism Award, and the Medical Design Excellence Award (MDEA).
- ISO9001:2008 certified
- Provide revision control documentation
- Complete material lot control
- Test reports for each fabrication run
Back to Top
We have been privileged to work on a wide variety of projects from simple flowcell schemes to multifunctional devices. We have knowledge and technical expertise in design and fabrication of fluidic circuits, integration with sensors and other components. While supporting prototyping in our platform laminate-based technology, we also support injection molding design development, and reworking client designs to match our technology.
Our goal is to transform a concept into a commercial microfluidic product.
- Develop a product requirements document to identify functional performance requirements.
- Translate those performance requirements into engineering milestones.
- Identify high risk aspects and propose alternate engineered solutions.
- Propose engineered solutions that can be manufactured cost effectively.
- Design, build and test devices as required and provide support for utilizing the devices to assess functional performance.
- Identify likely failure modes with proposed designs and suggest alternatives.
- Provide support for materials choices and components to achieve desired on-chip functions.
- Support design and development of injection molded components and integration with other components.
- Support development of disposable interface to the instrument.
- Provide suggestions on solutions to particular needs, such as sample prep, PCR, plasma separation
- Provide details on pressures and optimized actuation routines for on board valves and pumps.
- Design for integration with your components
Back to Top
Our technology goes a long way; it defines a clear path between prototyping and high volume manufacture. Throughout the initial fabrication runs, our team will optimize fabrication parameters and study the process to generate a cost model that will estimate per-piece-price reduction when production is scaled up.
- Provide cost modeling for a range of lot sizes (100s to 1000,000s) including BOM for production.
- Provide support for transfer to high volume production with our high volume partners.
Back to Top